Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Shoes

I started making my own shoes mostly because I have weird feet (size 10, 6E Wide with a normal width heel) even when I wear size 12 shoes I tend to split them out the sides.
I have made sandals before but my first full shoes were this pair of mukluks I made back in January. They were originally built as indoor slippers but I soon discovered they were quite warm outside in the snow.


I am often asked "are they waterproof" and "are they warm"
The answer to both is yes as long as it is below freezing. damp snow can quickly soak the leather if not freshly conditioned. Otherwise they keep my feet warmer than any other boots. Thick wool socks are needed as they have no insulation apart from a felt insole

This spring I made some Ojibwe inspired moccasins  for summer use
I made them a bit too small at first but luckily leather stretches, so after taking a few showers in them, they formed to my feet quite well.


This fall I ripped a hole through the bottoms and had to resole them.



No comments:

Post a Comment