Thursday, December 8, 2011

Nomadic Book Shelf

This was built this fall, I used some lumber found In one of my grandpas outbuildings that was falling down. I found out it was from packing crates for mining equipment. I left most of the indentations as I like the way they look.
The advantage of this design is that the whole thing can be assembled or disassembled in less than two minutes. It is also extremely stable for having no metal fasteners at all. (My test of stability is to jump up and sit on the top shelf and shake side to side, so holding books is no problem) The wedges are maple for strength and durability when being pounded with a mallet or wood block
the sides are a single piece with mortises cut through, I cut an extra mortise in between the top two shelves for different set-up possibilities.
The shelves are laminated from three pieces to make the shelves wider than the stock lumber and to make precise corners on the tenon with out much difficulty.
The tenon runs through and has a mortise through its centre that runs back into the side allowing the wedge-pin to draw tight. I drilled and dowelled the end of the tenon to prevent splitting.

1 comment: